This site is under construction.

Please visit my tumblr or follow me in twitter (@joanneskywalker) for updates. Thanks!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Legal Pad

"I'm just another lawyer. Just another shark in the dirty water."
- Rudy Baylor




I just finished reading John Grisham's The Rainmaker. And until now, I just can't get enough of it. I doubt if it will make me sleep sound tonight. Not because it's a scary or suspense novel, but because it hit me. It touched my life the way I didn't expect it would.

Rudy Baylor is the lead character. He is a young lawyer, just finished law school and is currently reviewing for the board exam. His father, who hates lawyers a lot, already died. Her mother is married to Hank, and they stay somewhere in Winnebago. Rudy has to do yard work for his apartment rent at M. Birdie's. He gets a case during their visit in the Cypress Gardens, a home for the aged, without ever thinking that it would soon explode into a big case that could make him the biggest rainmaker in town.

I love how Grisham built Rudy's character. Like many characters, he is smart, kind-hearted and resilient. But what I love most is the good humor combined with great idealism he has. At some parts, I can almost see myself in him.

Sometimes, I am thinking of taking up law instead of pursuing what I have started right now. I have the hots for debates, speeches, and all the legal stuff.

Someday, like Rudy Baylor, I too will be a rainmaker.

_YourSweetesDownfall :)

No comments: